As I am writing my new books I am discovering all the Easter Eggs that can be found in Pixar’s film Onward (2020). I currently have over 40 Easter Eggs that I have written about. I will gradually add them here as I make pictures for them. www.DisneyGuy.org
- When the brothers first open the doors to the Manticore’s Tavern, you can see the Pixar ball on a shield on the wall near the ceiling above where the wait staff is singing the happy birthday song.
- When the Manticore shows the brothers the real map to the Phoenix Gem on the wall, take note of the symbol on the book to the left. The symbol is four circles with a sword through the middle and is the symbol for Clan Dunbroch, Merida’s family, in Brave (2012).
- In the parking lot across from the pawnshop, there is a yogurt shot called “Master Froyo” which appears to be a nod to Frodo from The Lord of the Rings films as Samwise calls him Mister Frodo.
- In the parking lot across from the pawnshop, there is a restaurant called “The Sword in the Scone” which is meant to be a nod to the film The Sword in the Stone (1963). “The Sword in the Scone” is also listed as a breakfast sandwich in the window of the Poultry Palace in Toy Story 4 (2019) and on the menu board in the Toy Story Toons short Small Fry (2011).
- Genie’s lamp from Aladdin (1992) can be seen in one of the glass cabinets in the pawnshop.
- After the brothers enter the Manticore’s Tavern, they pass a “claw machine” style game called Gauntlet. If you look on the shelf on the back wall to the left, you can see Pepita, the Alebrije from Coco (2017). You know, the giant rainbow-colored winged lion.
- The Pizza Planet (Pizza Realm) truck that has been in every Pixar film, except The Incredibles (2004), can be seen in the far right when Ian and Barley are at the toll booth.
- If you look at the cook in the kitchen when the Manticore first appears through the swinging doors carrying plates, you can see that it is a giant rat looking creature seemingly to represent Remy from Ratatouille (2007).
- In the pawnshop when Grecklin pulls the Curse Crusher sword out of the can, you can see a hockey stick that looks like Riley’s hockey stick from Inside Out (2015).
- When Ian goes to the Burger Shire fast food restaurant, the billboard is advertising “Now Serving 2nd Breakfast” which is a nod to The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) when Pippin says “We’ve had one yes. But what about second breakfast?”
- In the Manticore’s Tavern, there is a shield on the wall to the upper right corner of the real map to the Phoenix Gem. This is the same shield that Merida hides behind when she is playing hide and seek with her mother, Queen Elinor, in the opening of Brave (2012).
- When the gas station attendant is selling snacks to a member of the Pixie Dusters and when they are scratching off the lotto tickets, you can spot a purple cup holding pens with a chicken wearing a knight’s helmet on it. This is the logo of the Poultry Palace, the fast-food restaurant that Bonnie and her family stops at in Toy Story 4 (2019). The fast-food chain is also seen in the Pixar short Small Fry (2011) and also in Toy Story 4 (2019), there is a vintage sign in the antique shop that says “Ye Olde Poultry Palace” with the same logo.
- When Ian is listening to his cassette player at home, you can spot a pack of TripleDent gum under the shelf on top of his notebook on his desk. This is a reference to the TripleDent gum commercial that kept playing in Inside Out (2015).
- In the gas station when the brothers run into the biker fairies, the Pixie Dusters, their leader, Dewdrop, is holding a pack of gum called TripleDent. This is a reference to the TripleDent gum commercial that kept playing in Inside Out (2015).
- In Barley’s van, you can see a street sign that says “You shall not pass,” which is what Gandalf told the Balrog in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) before falling into the ravine.
- In Barley’s van, his stereo has a piece of tape over the number 10 on his volume dial and has “11” written on it. This is a reference to the movie This Is Spinal Tap (1984) in which all the volume knobs on the amplifier have a max level of 11. No other amplifiers went past 10, but theirs went to 11. This is where the phrase “up to eleven” comes from. It basically means louder than the loudest normal setting.
- King Triton’s trident from The Little Mermaid (1989) can be seen in a barrel behind Corey when she is in the pawnshop arguing with Grecklin over the cost of her sword.
- When Colt Bronco is about to leave the house at the end of the film, dispatch calls out “We got a one one three in progress. All units report.” This is the Easter Egg of the “A113” that is found in all the Pixar films as a nod to the animation classroom at CalArts.
And as always, if you liked these fun facts, get a copy of my book with over 3,700 fun facts in it about Disneyland, California Adventure, and Disney Movies.